Hey! I hope you’re having a great day!
The past few weeks have been so exciting for me because I’ve been watching some of my favorite baseball teams work their way through the playoffs. Two of the three teams I’ve had a chance to work with professionally- the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Toronto Blue Jays, made it in and so did my hometown Kansas City Royals. I’ve been virtually glued to the screen every evening watching these teams battle for advancement toward the World Series and thankfully Toronto and Kansas City are still in the hunt.
In talking with many of my friends and colleagues I’ve found that the game of baseball isn’t all that popular anymore. We live in an era where sports fans like to see big plays, big shots and big hits and unfortunately there is not a lot of that in baseball. On the surface this makes the game appear somewhat dull, but if you look closer you’ll see something interesting.
Many baseball players and managers know they don’t need to hit a home run at every at bat in order to win. Sometimes they just need a single or a double. Sometimes they just need to bunt to advance the runner. Sometimes they just need to hit a fly ball so a runner can score from third base. Even though these are all little things individually, when you put them all together you score runs and you win games.
This is also true with our health habits. These days we are all looking for the fountain of youth, the magic formula, the secret sauce to staying healthy and feeling younger. In essence we are all looking for that “home run.”
Unfortunately staying healthy, feeling good and getting in great physical condition is much like the game of baseball- full of singles and doubles. Each little thing you do makes a difference. Each little thing creates progress. Each little thing is meaningful. Each little thing helps you win.
This is one reason why I so rarely write about supplements. Supplements are just singles and doubles and none of them will win the game for you (although we’d all love to find one that does). However, there are a few supplements that when combined with other healthy habits can potentially help you quite a bit.
One of those I’ve been reading more about lately is the spice turmeric.
Turmeric, also known as curcuma longa, is a very common herb and referred as “Queen of Spices” which people use for their cooking and for a wide range of anti-oxidant, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-carcinogenic, anti-mutagenic and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also loaded with many healthy nutrients such as protein, dietary fiber, niacin, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, sodium, potassium, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium and zinc. Here are the top 10 health benefits of eating turmeric.
1. Cancer Prevention. Turmeric can help prevent prostate cancer, stop the growth of existing prostate cancer and even destroy cancer cells. Multiple researchers have found that the active components in turmeric makes it one of the best protectors against radiation-induced tumors. It also has a preventive effect against tumor cells such as T-cell leukemia, colon carcinomas and breast carcinomas.
2. Arthritis Reliever. Anti-inflammatory properties in turmeric are great for treating both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. In addition, turmeric’s antioxidant property destroys free radicals in the body that damage body cells. It has been found that those suffering from rheumatoid arthritis who consume turmeric on a regular basis experience much relief from the moderate to mild joint pains as well as joint inflammation.
3. Diabetes Control. Turmeric is used in the treatment of diabetes by helping to moderate insulin levels and it also improves glucose control and increases the effect of medications used to treat diabetes. Another significant benefit is turmeric’s effectiveness in helping reduce insulin resistance, which may prevent the onset of Type-2 diabetes.
4. Heals Wounds. Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent and can be used as an effective disinfectant. If you have a cut or burn, you can sprinkle turmeric powder on the affected area to speed up the healing process. Turmeric helps repair damaged skin and may be used to treat psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
5. Alzheimer’s Disease Prevention. Turmeric supports overall brain health by aiding in the removal of plaque build-up in the brain and improving the flow of oxygen. This can also prevent or slow down the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
6. Improves Digestion. Turmeric is helpful in treating most forms of inflammatory bowel disease
including ulcerative colitis. However it is important to bear in mind that people suffering from any
kind of gallbladder disease should not take turmeric as a dietary supplement as it may worsen the
7. Natural Liver Detoxifier. Turmeric detoxifies the blood through the production of enzymes and turmeric increases production of these vital enzymes. These vital enzymes break down and reduce toxins in the body. Turmeric also is believed to invigorate and improve blood circulation.
8. Maintains Ideal Body Weight. A component present in turmeric helps increase the flow of bile, an important component in the breakdown of dietary fat. Those who wish to lose weight or treat obesity and other associated diseases can benefit from having one teaspoon of turmeric powder with every meal.
9. Reduces Cholesterol Level. Turmeric can reduce serum cholesterol levels. It is a known fact that high cholesterol can lead to other serious health problems. Maintaining a proper cholesterol level can prevent many cardiovascular diseases.
10. Boosts Immune System. Turmeric contains a substance known as lipopolysaccharide, which helps stimulate the body’s immune system. Its antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal agents also help strengthen the immune system. A strong immune system lessens the chance of suffering from colds, flu and coughs.
A good start is to eat a teaspoon per day and work up from there. Nothing I’ve read shows that it can be over consumed.
Now although the benefits of turmeric are pretty amazing, there is a supplement that combines turmeric with four other ingredients in a proprietary blend and has been shown to cause an even more dramatic reduction on the speed of aging and on inflammation (which is linked to every pain and disease). In fact, I even reduced my inflammation by 30% in four months while taking it and its super affordable.
I will write more about it next week.
Chris Vercelli MATm, RTS, CPT
Founder: Non-Fiction Fitness